Exceptions and Appeals

Board of Veterans’ Appeals: How Do I Appeal?

Authored by the Board of Veterans’ Appeals. The Board of Veterans’ Appeals provides a handbook on the appeals process with the Board of Veterans’ Appeals to review a decision on a claim. Read More.

LawHelpNC: The American Veterans and Servicemembers Survival Guide

Authored by Veterans for America. This survival guide provides legal information for servicemembers, veterans and their families. Read More.

Stateside Legal: Appealing the Appointment of a VA Fiduciary

Draft and Send a Notice of Disagreement. Like most other VA decisions, you have the right to appeal the appointment of a VA Fiduciary. Read More.


Stateside Legal: Appealing the Loss of Gun Rights

Under federal law, a person who is mentally unfit to manage personal finances is also unfit to own or purchase firearms. Read More.


Stateside Legal: VA Disability – Step 7: The Notice of Disagreement (VA Appeal) 

The VA Regional Office [VARO] decides your claim initially. But if you disagree with their decision, you can ask for it to be reviewed within the VA,  and then by the courts. Read More.

Stateside Legal: VA Disability – Step 8: Filing a Court Appeal

If you are not satisfied with any part of the Board decision, you can appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (the “Veterans Court”).  Read More.

Stateside Legal: Discharge Conditions: How to Request Review

The reason for your discharge and the “character” of that discharge is very important in deciding if you (and/or your dependents) are eligible for military and veteran benefits as a result of military service. The reason for your discharge  is listed on the DD-214 Certificate of Release which is issued at the completion of military service. If you believe that the conditions of discharge on your DD-214 are incorrect or unfair, you can ask for the decision to be reviewed by  the appropriate Discharge Review Board for your branch of service.   Read More.