Legal Aid of North Carolina

Legal Aid of North Carolina represents low-income veterans in their disability benefits claims and appeals.

Contact: Central Intake Unit: 1-866-219-5262

Legal Services of Southern Piedmont, Veterans Legal Services

Legal Services of Southern Piedmont serves low-income veterans and veterans’ families in Mecklenburg County who are seeking help with disability benefits claims and appeals, discharge upgrades, and overpayment issues, as well as additional civil legal matters, at little or no cost.  To be eligible, individuals and families living in Mecklenburg must have less than 300% of the federal poverty line; assistance may not be available in every case even if eligible.

Contact: Robert Davis, Veterans Legal Services Project Attorney

Veterans Hotline: 704-808-4144

North Carolina Central University School of Law, Veterans Law Clinic

The Veterans Law Clinic handles all types of claims at all stages of the Veterans Affairs’ claims adjudication process including judicial review.

Contact: Craig Kabatchnick, Supervising Attorney
Phone: 919-530-6605

University of North Carolina School of Law Veterans Legal Assistance Project

The Veterans Legal Assistance Project serves low-income veterans who are seeking help with discharge upgrades, disability benefits claims and appeals and VA character-of-discharge determinations. To be eligible, veterans must live in North Carolina, with preference given to veterans in the Triangle and Sandhills regions. Due to limited resources, assistance may not be available in every case.

Contact: Clinical Program, UNC Schoool of Law
Phone: 919-962-2888

If individuals do not qualify financially or otherwise for free legal services from the legal aid providers listed above, you may contact:

The North Carolina Lawyer Referral Service, a program of the North Carolina Bar Association

In-state: 1-800-662-7660

Out-of-state: 919-677-8574

Monday thru Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

Other assistance with veterans benefits:

North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Service Officer

Veterans Service Officers in every county can assist veterans who are seeking federal and state benefits.

Contact: Phone: 919-807-4250