Stateside Legal: Homeowners Assistance Program

The Homeowners Assistance Program (HAP) provides assistance with foreclosure situations. For eligible applicants, the Government may:

  1. Reimburse you for part of your loss from selling your home.
  2. Assist you, if you don’t have funds from the sale of your home to pay-off your mortgage.
  3. Purchase your home by paying off the mortgage.
  4. Help, if you default on your mortgage.

Very specific eligibility criteria apply to this program, which is administered by the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE).

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) temporarily expands the HAP to assist service members and DOD employees who are wounded, injured or become ill when deployed, surviving spouses of service members or DOD employees killed or died of wounds while deployed, service member and civilian employees assigned to BRAC 05 organizations, and service members required to permanently relocate during the home mortgage crisis.

The HAP website provides information on how to apply, eligibility criteria and other details of this important program. To review this information, click here.


Original source link:


Tags: Homeownership àMortgages; Homeownership àForeclosures