Stateside Legal: Request Military Service Records or Prove Military Service


Service members and their families sometimes need to request new copies of the important records documenting military service, including the DD-214.

It is very important to use the official Department of Defense records in proving eligibility for benefits.  Beware of private companies that advertise to get these records outside the usual process.

The best way to request these documents is from the National Archives website  There is one process for the service member and a different one for family members and others.

Original source link: