Unemployment Compensation

Stateside Legal: Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Servicemembers [UCX]

By federal law, certain members of the military can get Unemployment Compensation based on their active duty service. Read More.

Stateside Legal: Unemployment Compensation: Special Rules for Servicemembers

“Unemployment compensation” [UC] programs provide weekly income to workers who can’t find jobs.  Special laws allow some members of the military and their spouses to qualify for UC as a result of military service. Read More.

Stateside Legal: Unemployment Compensation for Spouses who Quit Work Because of Military Spouse Transfers

Each State runs an Unemployment Compensation (UC) program for people who have lost their jobs.   Some states offer unemployment compensation for spouses who quit their jobs because their spouse is a member of the military who was transferred. Read More.

North Carolina Department of Commerce, Division of Employment Security: Apply for UI Benefits

The Department of Commerce’s Division of Employment Security (DES) is the North Carolina agency that manages the unemployment insurance system. Read More.

LawHelpNC: How to Prepare for an Unemployment Benefits Hearing

Authored by Legal Aid of North Carolina.  Legal Aid of North Carolina provides information about the process of obtaining unemployment benefits and preparing for a hearing in front of the Appeals Referee with the Employment Security Commission (ESC). Read More.

North Carolina Unemployment Insurance

Information from Benefits.gov and North Carolina Division of Employment Security

Program Description: Unemployment insurance benefits provide temporary financial assistance to workers unemployed through no fault of their own that meet North Carolina’s eligibility requirements. Read More.

Stateside Legal: Discharge Conditions: How to Request Review

The reason for your discharge and the “character” of that discharge is very important in deciding if you (and/or your dependents) are eligible for military and veteran benefits as a result of military service. The reason for your discharge  is listed on the DD-214 Certificate of Release which is issued at the completion of military service. If you believe that the conditions of discharge on your DD-214 are incorrect or unfair, you can ask for the decision to be reviewed by  the appropriate Discharge Review Board for your branch of service.   Read More.